Hello, and welcome to the Wellnesses blog.
My name is Ashley, and I want to talk to you about how to improve your life. DISCLAIMER: I am not some perfect yoga-body goddess who has her whole life together. However, I do know what I am talking about when it comes to health – mind, body and spirit.
I am about 300 pounds. I lost 60 pounds during my four years attending WVU. So, no, I am not at an ideal weight, but I am improving every day. I am stronger every day. I am happier every day. I LOVE MYSELF EVERY DAY.
Now, I do not say this to brag. I say this to assure you it is possible for you to feel strong and bright, too!
When I was depressed, eating all the wrong foods, trying fad diets, etc., I felt completely alone, hopeless and helpless. I looked in the mirror and loathed every inch of my body. I had anti-pep talks with myself. I never thought I could change my emotions unless I was a size 6. Thinking back – to not too long ago, I might add – it amazes me how desperate and down one can be. I never want to feel that way again.
And I don’t want anyone else to feel that way, either.
This blog will focus on a different topic each week. There will be a rich balance of information on how to improve every area of your life.
Throughout this blog, I vow to be completely honest with you. That means I will not post about how easy change is, how every day is wonderful, or how steady any progress will be. These things are false.
Change is hard. It takes immense willpower and practice of the mind. Don’t forget dedication. And you need to understand some basic principles before you can start to change:
- Every person on this planet is a work in progress (That means, you!).
- External influences are only that; influences. They do not decide your mood. Only you can control that.
- Every day will not be wonderful. There will still be days you will not want to get out of bed. Making the decision to get up anyway is enormous.
- There will be setbacks. In your mood, your weight, your faith, etc. These do not define you. You always have the choice to turn it around and keep going.
- You will probably lose people in your journey to a better self. This especially applies to people, like myself, who are pushovers. You need to learn how stand up for yourself.
- Setting goals is key. You should keep a journal specifically for this purpose. I write yearly, monthly, weekly and daily goals. It’s helpful to set expectations for yourself.
I hope you take these words to heart and follow this blog. Thank you for reading!